Former Hatfield Student and Ashes winner dies aged 85

The following is an article provided by Palatinate.

Frank Tyson, who has died at the age of 85, was considered to be one of the quickest bowlers of all time, and therefore earned the nickname “Typhoon”. Despite a fleeting five-year international career, the 1954-55 Ashes series in Australia proved to be a glamourous pinnacle, obliterating the Australians in a 3-1 series victory.

After a moderate return of 1-160 and therefore an enlightening start to the rigours of international cricket in Brisbane, he regained his form in the second Test match in Sydney, taking 10 wickets as England bounced back with a 38-run victory. His form continued in the third Test in Melbourne, where his career-best figures of 7-28 allowed England to take control of the five-match series.

Another victory in Adelaide followed to secure the Ashes, yet his overall international figures provide a modest reflection of one of England’s most ferocious bowlers ever. Although he ended the Ashes series with 28 wickets at an average of 20.82, he would only represent England on a further 11 occasions, finishing with 76 wickets in 17 Tests at an average of 18.56.

It was rumoured that he recited the poems of William Wordsworth as he ran in to bowl

It is unlikely that anyone has bowled as quickly as Tyson for England, having clocked 89mph in the nets on a tour in New Zealand. However, according to The Telegraph, the former Durham University student believed he was as fast at university as he ever was in his subsequent career.

Tyson eventually secured his degree as an English Literature student at Hatfield College, after his involvement in the Ashes series. However, even whilst on tour he immersed himself in poetry off the field. It was rumoured that he recited the poems of William Wordsworth as he ran in to bowl.

Yet having represented Hatfield College, Northamptonshire and England, his body succumbed to his unusual bowling action, forcing him to retire in 1960 aged just 30.

However, his retirement from cricket took him to the land of his most acclaimed success in the game. Tyson went on to pursue careers working as a school master, coach, commentator and author in Melbourne before moving to the Gold Coast to enjoy his full retirement.

Tyson married Ursula Miels in 1957, having met her on the successful 1954-55 Ashes tour. They had a son and two daughters.

Frank Tyson, cricketer, born 6 June 1930; died 27 September 2015.

Photograph: Durham University